Our Process at Visiting Angels of Spartanburg &
Taylors and Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a difference in home care companies? You bet! We would like to offer you a few points that can help you in evaluating the homecare industry and how to determine the important factors that you will want to be aware of prior to making a homecare decision. Following is a sampling of some frequently asked questions. At Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors, we know that you deserve the absolute best in-home care available. After reading through the information below, please call us or use the contact form on the home page if you have any questions. Thank you for considering us. We sincerely appreciate your business here.
What we do is important, but let’s start with why…
At Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors, we believe in providing absolutely the highest quality of care to your family, based on spiritual principals. As defined in our mission statement… “Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors strives to maintain the independence and dignity of our clients, by ensuring the highest quality in-home care service and the most competent caregivers at the most reasonable price. We Deliver Top Quality Care Every Time…” We take every word of that honor and commitment seriously. What that means to you is that you can rest assured that your loved ones are cared for with compassion, understanding and love. That “calling” is why we are here at all, and to us…the WHY makes all of the difference!
What measure do you take in hiring caregivers?
This is the single most important quality control filter that we have in place. At Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors, we believe that our caregivers are the best of who we are and we place heavy emphasis on selecting just the “right” caregivers. We perform the most extensive screening in the market by performing the following:
- Extensive background checking: State SLED check, FBI fingerprint scanning, Department of Health and Human Services checking, and national, state and county background checks
- Extensive caregiver training on an ongoing basis
- Health Screening: Tuberculosis testing (2 stepTB), Physician physicals, job fitness examinations, Drug screening prior to employment and then on an ongoing basis.
- Industry references are checked and multiple interviews by multiple managers.
- Official Department of Motor Vehicle checks.
- Mandatory drug screening per-hire then on an ongoing basis
- Computer based testing to compare each applicants abilities to an ideal caregiver’s profile. The following attributes are evaluated: personality, honesty, competence, cognitive abilities, stress level, propensity for drug use and theft, etc. Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors compares applicants against a national standard of care giving excellence. Computer based testing is a wonderful opportunity to screen caregivers allowing us to evaluate the individual in a strictly objective manner. The thoroughness of our screening process increases employee retention and quality of care offering you a more qualified caregiver on a more consistent basis.
- Hands on skills assessments are performed to evaluate the scope of what the individual caregiver knows how to do, what continuing education they will need, and with whom they would be an ideal fit. Some caregivers are better suited to address specific needs. We want to make sure that those individuals are the best fit possible for you and your loved one.
- Pre-employment orientation / training is done to further screen applicants.
- State Boards are checked to ensure that certifications are current and that there is no evidence of adverse actions or filings against a caregiver.
- National sex offender registries and SSN validation is confirmed, and much more…
Do you just send out caregivers or can I select my own?
Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors’ Personalized Service System is much more than just “sending out a caregiver”. We are providing personal care and we fully understand what that means. (read about Jeanette here) After we meet with you to better understand your needs and expectations, we carefully consider who would be the best caregiver to provide that care. You then have an opportunity to meet that individual and “Select Your Caregiver” for yourself. We will gladly meet you at our office or at your home and give you an opportunity to meet the caregiver that we are considering for care. This is a free service to you and part of our commitment in your safety and comfort. Now that is unique!
Are you a licensed home health care agency?
Absolutely! Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors has received a 100% score from the Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC). We are licensed, deficiency free and in good standing with the state of South Carolina.
Are your Caregivers bonded and insured?
Absolutely! We stand behind the services that we provide and the caregivers that provide them. With Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors, you can have peace of mind, as your safety is in the forefront of our minds at all times. As a point of reference, bonding insurance covers any theft or “employee dishonesty”. Insured speaks to the overriding general liability insurance that Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors holds to allow for accountability. Bonding and insurance BOTH are needed to offer you true accountability if anything were to ever go wrong.
Is there a fee to find a caregiver or to change caregivers?
No. Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors is not a “placement agency” and we do not charge “placement fees” to our employees or our clients. Our concern is ensuring that the “RIGHT” caregiver is working with the “RIGHT” care recipient. This ensures that our clients and our caregivers are both happy to be coupled together. Our caregivers are employees and not independent contractors, meaning that the caregiver’s taxes, workers compensation liabilities, training, policies, etc. are handled by Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors directly. You will never be charged a fee to find a caregiver or to request a different caregiver.
So how does billing work?
We make it simple. We ask for a 1 week refundable deposit for services to start. Invoices are generated weekly for the care that is provided for the previous week (billed in arrears). When services are discountinued, we ask for a two week notice to be worked prior to the end of service. Once services have ended with the two week noticed worked, your account is settled and the deposit is refunded.
There are also options on how you can make payment for invoices.
- Check – Invoices are generated and mailed to you. Payment would be made by mailing in a paper check. Payments are applied to your account as soon as they are received.
- E-Check / Bank Draft – This is by far the simplest way to manage your billing! Invoices are created and payments are made by an automated bank draft. Invoices are marked paid and mailed/emailed to you for your records. We can even set up an online account so that you may securely access all invoices and payments online. This is perfect for long distance caregiving!
How can you help our family with making care more affordable?
Providing excellent home care is the cornerstone of what we do. Excellent care should be delivered in a consistent manner to provide your family with physical, intellectual, emotional and spiritual support that you need. A large part of the concern about care is financial. At Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors, we believe in providing the highest possible care at the lowest possible cost. To help accomplish that goal, we have become experts in several programs to help you acquire the maximum amount of benefits in areas where we see that you could qualify. We can identify the programs, help you apply and walk you through the in’s and out’s of the paperwork and processes hand in hand.
How do you know that a caregiver will show up?
It would be unrealistic to think that caregivers will never be late or have life events happen that can cause people to not be able to make it to work on time. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not being truthful. The real difference is how those situations are handled. At Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors, we have what is known as a “triple-net system”. Caregivers are required to use your telephone at your home to call in when they arrive and when they leave. If the caregiver calls from a phone number that does not match your home number, or greater than 10 minutes late, the entire office staff here is automatically notified by e-mail and text message. This means we can be proactive and take action immediately to make sure that your loved one is cared for right away! As a safety measure we will always train a backup caregiver to step in at a moments notice if your primary caregiver is unable to provide care for any reason. If the backup caregiver is unable to assist, we have qualified caregivers that work with Visiting Angels of Spartanburg & Taylors that can step in. You can rest easy knowing that when we give you our word about care being provided, that you can depend on us.If we say that we are going to be there, we will be!
Are assessments conducted in your office or in the home?
At times it is more appropriate to conduct an assessment at our office for more sensitive discussions, while it is commonplace to meet in the home of the individual looking to receive care. We will be happy to meet with you at a location and time that is convenient to you for a no-charge assessment. We have met with families literally at all times of the day and night, in all sorts of locations. This is a very personal service and we are here to help in whatever capacity we can at your leisure.
So what’s the bottom line? How do I get started with care?
The bottom line is that we really do care about you and your loved ones and we will do everything within our power to ensure that you are happy, safe and cared for in an excellent fashion. One thing we have learned over the course of the years we have been honored to serve is that you never have to apologize for operating with integrity. When you look at the high standards, personalized service system, and the focus on the individual, I know you will conclude that Visiting Angels of Spartanburg is the “RIGHT” home care agency for you and your loved ones. Please feel free to call us to explore this option further and set up an in-home assessment. We look forward to meeting you and welcoming you into our family.
Our Service Area
Spartanburg, Inman, Duncan, Greer, Taylors, Woodruff, Lyman, Landrum, Campobello, Cowpens, Wellford, Pacolet, Enoree, Reidville, Fairforest, Fingerville, Gramling, Cross Anchor, Glendale, Arcadia, Moore, Roebuck, Boiling Springs, Chesnee, Converse, Clifton